The Old Burial Ground is referred to by many names, most commonly the Loyalist Burial Grounds. The leafy, peaceful and park-like area is the final resting place of some of Saint John’s earliest settlers – including many Americans loyal to the British crown, who emigrated from the United States during and after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). The earliest gravestone is that of Coonradt Hendricks, dated July 13, 1784. The Old Burial Ground was carefully restored by the Irving family in 1995, in memory of the late K.C. Irving (1899-1992), founder of the Irving group of companies.